Quality management is essential for most companies involved in production process, and the software solution from HP belongs to the popular programs that help the companies with managing the processes. If you apply for a quality manager job, a quality engineer, or even interview for a system analyst position, you may have to deal with a few questions that target the HP Quality Center software. We will have a look at them in this article.
What is HP Quality Center and why do companies use it?
HP Quality Center (QC) is a set of web-based test management software from HP. It supports high level of communication and interaction among various stakeholders (especially developers, testers, project managers, final users) in order to achieve more efficient global testing process.
Can you name at least five products of HP Quality Center and describe the components in one sentence?
- HP Change Impact Testing Module for SAP Apps – it is designed to offer recommendations on SAP testing priorities. It is able to evaluate business risk, analyze the technical impact, tune the strategy and create execution plan for SAP apps.
- HP Functional Testing software – It is designed for manual and automated testing for GUI based services and applications.
- HP QuickTest – Provides functional and regression testing automation for application environments.
- HP Service Test software – provides simplified and fully automated testing of service oriented architecture services.
- HP Test Data Management software – Automated the process of data collection from online applications and combines masking data extraction with automated data extraction.
Can you define the Test Lab?
It is a module where a Test Case is imported. It is created in Test Plan and then executed in test Lab. After the definition, you can talk about your experience with Test Lab, and how it helped you with your work in the quality department.
How can one maintain test data in Quality Center?
You have to create a separate folder in test plan where you can store the data. With a simple technical questions like this one, it makes no sense going for an elaborate answer. But always remember that it is better to polish your skills before the start of your interviews.
Practical tests are becoming ever more popular, and instead of talking about how you’d do this or that in the program, they may ask you to simply do it.
Is there a possibility to export files to excel sheet?
Yes it is, using a simple button or command practically all the data can be exported to excel sheet. MS Excel is an evergreen program, something many different bodies work in the organization, inducing the software engineers.
If you think that there is a decent chance you’ll spend time working with Excel in your new job, have a look at our article about an interview question “Describe your experience using Microsoft Excel“.
Can we save the results of test executed in Test Lab?
We do not have to do it, all the tests are saved automatically.Remember that they may ask you purposely about something that cannot be done in the software–because it either isn’t important for the users, or the software does it automatically. The key here is to not fall for the trap. If something cannot be done, you should simply say it cannot be done.
How will you generate a report of a defect in QC?
It is generated automatically after you click on the submit button. Actually they may show you as report of some defect, and ask you to identify the culprit. That one is much more different than just saying how you will generate the report…
Other questions you may face in your job interview
Whether you apply for a software tester, project manager, or quality assurance engineer job, you should remember that the success in an interview does not depend only on your answers to the technical questions.
Interviewers will ask you also some behavioral questions, and you will have to demonstrate the right attitude to work, as well as your readiness for the job. The person who handles both technical and behavioral questions, and makes a good impression on the hiring committee, will get the job at the end of the interviews. Will it be you? We sincerely hope so!
May also interest you:
- Body language in an interview – What do your gestures and movements say about you? Can we control our non-verbal communication?
- How to overcome interview nerves – 4 simple strategies that will help you get rid of stress and show your very best when it matters the most.
- Quality Assurance Interview Questions – Screening, behavioral, and technical questions–all of them wait for you in a typical interview for a quality assurance position. Ready to learn how to answer them?
* You can also download the list of 7 tech. questions in a simple, one page long .PDF, and practice your interview answers anytime later: