How to Answer Why Should We Hire You Question
Employer always needs a good reason to give you a job. You represent the expense for him, the regular monthly expanse. He wants to find this reason to employ you, with or without your help. Because of this, why should we hire you question is present nearly in every single job interview.
We will analyze it in detail (as well as other difficult questions) on this page and offer you good answers to this question, for a variety of job openings. Let’s analyze it question from a theoretic point of view firstly.
What do interviewers want to hear from you?
- They want to hear how you could help their company to prosper and, and they want to hear that you care about it.
- They desire to know how motivated and enthusiastic for the job you are.
- They strive to understand the added value you can bring to the company.
Now wait a minute. Shouldn’t the interviewers figure it out without your help? Aren’t they paid for their ability to recognize your potential and assess your strengths and weaknesses in an interview?
They are paid for that. However, they can ask you why should we hire you question from one of the following reasons:
- They want to see if you are able to assess your own skills. They simply want to understand your own idea about yourself. It helps them to determine your level of trustworthiness, confidence and other important things.
- They simply use this question, because everyone else uses it in the interview.
- They are not able to find out why they should give you a job – so as a last chance, they ask you about it.
You should not expect the interviewers to be perfect. There are many great interviewers in the US and everywhere else, but there work also some bad interviewers. It is the same in every job, isn’t it? Therefor, you should use your opportunity and prepare a great answer to this as well as other typical job interview questions.
What you should not answer to this question.
Many job seekers tend to use general answers to this question. However, it is not a good strategy. Amongst typical bad answers without a doubt belong:
Why should we hire you?
- Because I am the best candidate for this job. How can you tell that, when you do not know other applicants?
- Because I want this job so badly. Interviewers are not concerned about your wants and depression. It is not important for them.
- I fulfill all the requirements for the job. This is simply too general. You need to mention what requirements you fulfill, if you decide to go this direction with your answer.
- I have no idea. Well, if you have no idea, how can an employer get it?
You need to be specific in your answer. Do not make the same mistake people do when answering what are your goals question.
You need to be specific and to tell them exactly what they desire to hear . You can use the following simple guide to construct the perfect answer to why should I employ you question:
- Write down all the abilities and skills that are important for this job. (You can find it on the job descriptions or can figure it out on your own.)
- Think which of these skills you have.
- Use it in your answer and mix it with your strong motivation and enthusiasm for the job.
Please do not forget that your answer needs to correspond with your presence in the job interview. You can tell the employer hundred times how motivated you are for the job. But, if you are bored, yawn and employer can simply not see your enthusiasm, he will not trust your answer what so ever…
But why to be negative? Let’s rather have a look at sample answers you can use when applying for different jobs.
Sample why should we hire you answers for different jobs
General managerial position
- You should hire me, because I have an ability to uncover and develop the strengths of the others and put it into use to achieve the prosperity of the whole company. Management is my passion and I just love to help the others to achieve their goals, enjoy their job and benefit the company.
General marketing position
- I am a very creative person, with a golden touch when it comes to touching the hearts and minds of the consumers. I really enjoy to work in marketing and am strongly motivated to create unique and successful campaigns for your clients.
General sales position
- I really like the product of your company, that is the first reason why you should hire me. You can sell something properly only when you really like it. Secondly, I am really passionate about selling and enjoy myself in the talks with the customers. I know to deal with different personalities and have guts to talk to anyone.
Entry level jobs
- I am aware of the fact that I have no experience yet. However, I am willing to learn, am motivated to work hard and will do my very best every day to help you to achieve your goals.
Top management jobs
- You should hire me, because I have always the goals of the company as my first priority. I never let emotions to influence my decisions. If it is good for the prosperity of your company, I will even fire my best friend. I am able to decide quickly and do the right move in the right time. I am ready to take your company to the next level.
Customer care and assistance
- I love to talk with the others and to help them. This make me happy in my job. I will make your customers smiley, satisfied and willing to come back for another purchase. This is simply my personality and you should hire me because of it.
People working on the phone (call center, telemarketing and similar positions)
- To make a phone call is my favorite activity. I like to talk on the phone, am not discouraged by negative response and have an ability to turn the negatively tuned responder to a prospect. I believe that this is good for your company.
- I have an ability to see the good and bad in people. I am able to quickly understand if they can be useful for company. I work very professionally and never let my emotions to take control of my decisions. What more, I simply love to talk to the others and give a good job to the one who deserve it.
Programmers and coders
- My computer is my best friend. If I work on the project, I am able to focus purely on my tasks. Nothing can take my concentration away when I work on it. I have my own point of view and can provide interesting insights to every project I work on. I am also creative and work hard on my coding skills. I try to learn something new every day.
Software are application testers
- To test the software and bring it to perfection is a greatest satisfaction for me. I know to work with different testing tools. Despite the fact that most job seekers do so, I do not consider this job to be routine. Oppositely, I find it very fascinating and wake up happy to work every morning.
- My job is my mission. I believe that teachers can influence the future of their students strongly. I approach my job very responsibly because of that. I try my best to be a great role model for all the students.
- I do not look for the career growth or huge salary like some other people do. I just want to help the people in the hotel. I just want to do my best every day to achieve the satisfaction of the guests. To make the others feel good makes me feel good.
Administrative workers and office managers
- I am a very organized person. I keep good track of everything and work very effectively. I do not mind to do routine work. In fact, I prefer it. I am always smiley in the work. Typically, it makes the other people smiley too.
These were samples of why should we hire you answers for different jobs. As you can see, it goes about the answers anyone can use. However, you should always add to it the following points:
- The relevant experience for the job you have
- Any special skills that are (or could potentially be) beneficial for the job
- Relevant education you have
- Positive feelings and thoughts when it comes to the working culture, working environment, visions and goals of your potential employer.
Do not forget: Tell them what they want to hear.
You should be able to answer this difficult question now. If you are not, we advice you to read the whole article once again. And if you are, why not to check the weakness interview question or other pages on InterviewPenguin.com? You can for example find the exact job you are applying for here, and have a look at all the questions and answers for it.