I’ve known enough security guards to say that their professional background varies a lot. Some people opt for this job after a career with police forces, or after working in a corrections facility. Many others go for it since they do not have luck in other interviews and jobs. And it is also an option for someone who has been unemployed for a long time, and lacks desire for hard-work, but does not mind night shifts and similar stuff.
All sorts of organizations need security officers, and hence you will always find some job openings in the field… But how does this rely to your introduction in the interviews? And should you even talk about such things in your interview, or on a job application? We will try to find the answers on the following lines.
Before we look at 7 sample answers, I want to share with you two things that matter. First one is your non-verbal communication and overall demeanor. With “Tell me about yourself question”, they try to get a basic grasp of who you are, your communication skills, self-confidence, etc. It is important to keep an eye contact, talk clearly and with confidence, and also show some enthusiasm for the job. You should not sound desperate or bored in this interview. Second thing to remember is to focus on things that make from you a good candidate for the job. It can be relevant working experience (if you have any), personality traits, but also your flexibility to do night shifts, long shifts, etc, so typical for the job of a security officer… Let’s proceed to the answers.
7 sample answers to “Tell me about yourself” interview question for Security Guards
- My name is Rick and I worked in corrections for seventeen years. And while I get my early retirement pay, I still feel like working somewhere, contributing to the safety of as certain place and people who work there and shop there, which is the reason why I am applying for a job of a security guard. I believe that my track record at corrections proves that I have what it takes to handle the job, and I can assure you that though I will soon turn 50, I am still in an excellent shape. I also exercise a lot in my free time, and go for a run twice each week.
- Markus here, 35, I just came back from working abroad for several years. Now I am looking for a stability, and job in which I can earn well, and at the same time do not need any special education or qualification. I did night shifts regularly in my job in a warehouse abroad, and do not mind doing long shifts (I can stay vigilant for long periods of time), and, considering everything, I find the job of a security guard an ideal choice for me. That would be it for a short introduction, please ask if you want to know anything more about my former jobs, or about anything else.
- I would introduce myself as someone with passion for order and justice. I’ve been like that since my childhood, and though I dreamed of working as a judge one day, life took a different course, and I ended in supermarket jobs, and whatever. But I still have this passion, and realized that I would feel much better working as a security officer, helping to protect the property and lives, something that’s more important than ever in United Stated, considering all the incidents and shootings we have here every year… When it comes to some data about me, I am 29, single, living just ten minutes away from this place, and enjoy playing guitar in my free time.
- My name is Ian, and I feel my story isn’t that unique in this field. I tried my luck in professional sports, played soccer in the fourth league, and tried to make it big. But as you know, whether or not you make it in sports depends on many things: your talent, dedication, and also a bit of luck, that means playing well in important matches when agents sit among spectators, having a good team, etc. I didn’t make it, and now my professional career in sports ended, and I do not have much to show for on my resume. Hence I am looking for some job where experience or education doesn’t play a big role, an at the same time a job where I can benefit from my excellent shape. Security guard fits the idea perfectly, and that’s why I am here.
- Michelle, 23, still studying at the university. I am looking for a job with night shifts, that means a job I an realistically combine with my studies, for the next two years. The night security guard in your factory seems like a perfect choice to me. I can just watch the screens and do my walks, and perhaps even study a bit in-between (or sleep, but you should not mention that in the interviews :)), while not missing any lectures at the university. Outside of my studies I enjoy reading and playing chess, and spending time with friends. Is there anything else you’d like to know about me?
- Let me introduce myself in five words: Responsible, vigilant, confident, strong, resilient. I believe it is a perfect combination for a job of a security guard at this place, and security guard is an ideal job for my present situation, for this stage of my professional career. I am someone you can rely on, in all instances, including those when one has to venture outside of their comfort zone. And I sincerely hope you will give me a chance to prove my words in the job.
- I am probably the most experienced security guard you will interview for this job. Have been in the field for two decades already, working in one warehouse for seven years, and in a big supermarket for another seven years. You can see the references from my previous employers attached to this job application. Now you may wonder why I am changing my job. It is just life–I’ve got divorced couple of years ago, and now I found a new partner and relocated to this little town. Hence I am looking for a new job, and I am sure your place will benefit from my extensive experience in this field…
Ready to answer this one? I hope so! Do not forget to check also sample answers to other tricky interview questions you may face: