Becoming a doctor (or a nurse) is not easy. Years of hard studies and sacrifices, but when you eventually manage to get your degree, you’re typically the one who can choose. Because there is a lack of doctors and nurses in almost any country, and the health of our population is not getting better anytime soon (or anytime in the future). Often hospitals and clinics will literally fight for you, especially if you have a certain specialization, or a degree from a good university. Even though, they have interviews and application forms, and one of the questions you will often face is “Why this hospital?”. But what do they actually want to hear from you?
To be honest, they do not care that much. As long as you show enthusiasm for working in their place, and give a logical reason (something that is true), they will be happy with your answer. Of course, in some specific cases, for example when you apply for a position with a high demand (think pharmacist for example), and compete with many other people for that single vacancy in the hospital, you should try to come up with the goods and stand out with your answer.
Let’s have a look at 7 sample answers now. I tried to come up with an interesting selection, with both conventional and atypical answers, including one or two funny ones. I hope at least one of them will resonate with you, and with the message you try to convey in the interviews. And remember, enthusiasm in your voice is the key. Any reason you pick, they should get an impression that you really mean it, and do not say it just because you know they want to hear something of that sort…
7 sample answers to “Why do you want to work in this hospital?” interview question
- I want to work in this hospital in particular for a couple of reasons. First of all, it has a great reputation, and the facilities are very modern. As every doctor who sees their job more as a mission than as “only” an employment, I want to make sure that I can do as much as possible for my patients. Modern facilities and access to latest drugs and treatments makes it much easier. And secondly, the location is also great, since I live only 15 minutes drive from here. Healthcare jobs are stressful on their own, and I see no reason who I should waste two hours each day commuting to work… Hence your hospital is a perfect choice for me, and I hope you’ll give me a chance here.
- To be honest, I admire several doctors working at your place. In particular XXX, XYZ, and ABC (you put some real names of people with years of experience, proven record of research work, great reputation among the professional circles, etc). Since I aspire to become one of the best neurosurgeons in this country (a long term goal), it would be amazing to work with these people, to learn from them, to have them around. That’s why I want to work in your hospital.
- To be very honest with you, I do not have a particular preference. Look, we know what is the situation on the job market for pharmacists, especially when you want to work in a hospital, and not in some retail store. The competition is tremendous, and in my opinion one has to try everything they can, apply with every place within a reasonable distance. Your hospital is one of the few places that actually have job openings for pharmacists, and so I applied and hope for the best.
- I want to work here because I got really good recommendation from two of my friends, who also work here as nurses. They said nice things about the facilities, the collective in the workplace, the management, and basically said it was a great place to work. I am hard-working just as my friends are, and see nursing as my personal mission, and honestly believe that I will be a great fit here.
- My reason is very personal. I spent half a year in this hospital when 12 years old, after suffering numerous traumas in a car accident. My father died in that accident, and my chances to survive, and actually return to normal life, were pretty slim. But the doctors here made miracles, everyone treated me so well, and I eventually left the place almost completely healthy, ready to study again, and eventually even return to sports. Back then I made a vow to become a doctor, and one day return to this hospital and work here. Now the day has come, after many hard years of study. I cannot wait to start and help especially young people to get back on track, just as you have once helped me here.
- To be completely honest with you, it is because of the salary offer. I’ve invested a lot of time, money, and effort in my professional career, and still find myself in a debt. I feel it is time to change things, start earning really big, and make something out of all those years. Of course, a private clinic like yours one offers a level of compensation a typical hospital cannot offer, and that level is the reason no. 1 why I want to work in this place, and not in some other hospital. Of course, I like also many other things about your place–the modern facilities, the organization of the place, the management. All in all, it would be a dream come true to work in your place.
- Well, it is my only option. Job openings for this role are rather rare, and I cannot afford waiting another year to have the job, to finally make something out of those long years of study. Sure, maybe this place doesn’t have the best reputation, and there has been a scandal or two in the recent years. But first of all I know things are never quite black and white, and in every hospital you have better and worse things. And perhaps I can be the one who improves the reputation of this place. Why not?
So that’s it. I hope you’re ready to answer this one, and wish you best of luck in your interview! I also suggest you to check 7 sample answers to other tricky interview questions:
- Why do you want to work in healthcare?
- Why do you want to be a doctor?
- Healthcare interview – What are your strengths and weaknesses?