We all have our dreams and hopes. Someone wants to be rich, another hopes to become famous, and the third wants to put a dent to the universe. Most of us dream of being loved, recognized, and cared for. No doubt modeling can bring you closer to all your dreams, but it can also led you astray. The question is though, are these the dreams and goals you should talk about about in a job interview, or write about on your job application, while you try to get a job with some modeling agency, or with some prestigious brand?
Answer to this question isn’t exactly straightforward, but I can guarantee you a couple of things. First of all, they are looking for aspiring models who know why they want to work in the field. Modeling is no piece of cake. The competition is fierce, and the road to the top is long. Unless you have motivation within, and know why you are doing this, you will quit before you can reach the stars (or at least appear on some billboard in your city).
And secondly, they want to hear not only what you want, but also what you can bring onboard as a model. We should do things we are good at, since life makes little sense otherwise, and we would not enjoy doing a job we dislike. That’s why in an ideal answer to this question you should say why you want to be a model, and why you believe to be a great candidate. On the list of 7 sample answers below, most answer combine the two, but I also included some unconventional answers in my selection. In certain competitive scenarios, or when you have nothing to lose, unconventional answers that help you stand out from the pack are your best bet.
7 sample answers to “Why do you want to be a model?” interview question
- I want to be a model because I really enjoy the profession. I posed for pictures before, and enjoyed everything that belonged to the job–preparation, makeup, discussions with the photographer, long sessions. What’s more, I believe to bring a unique personality to the picture, something one cannot easily overlook. In the fast-paced world we live in at the moment, it is important to stand out with your campaigns. And I believe I can help make it happen.
- I’ve always dreamed of modeling. Took good care of my looks, diet, lifestyle. What’s more, fashion is my passion, and I enjoy nothing more than trying new pieces of clothes. For me, modeling represents a way of earning a living while doing something I love. And that’s why I want to be a model, and ideally work for a great agency like yours.
- Speaking honestly, I do not dream of big campaigns and millions of dollars. But I get the looks, and the discipline, and at the end of the day we all need money. I still study, and definitely prefer earning some extra income working as a model, rather than sitting at a cash desk in some supermarket, or cooking food in some fast food establishment. Studying your job description carefully, I feel to be a good match for this type of work, with my looks, personality, but also with my schedule and career goals.
- I take it as any other job. We should do what we are good at, matching our job with our strengths. I consider myself very independent, photogenic, disciplined. Do not mind posing for pictures in any clothes, or lack of them. I know modeling is hard work, but what job isn’t a hard work? It is a job I will enjoy doing, job I can be good at, and I really want to give this career a serious try.
- I’m just the best looking guy in the city. As simple as that. But it takes time and effort to stay in shape: diet, gym, sports, you name it. I’ve sacrificed a lot to get to this point, and that’s because I have a serious desire of making it big in the world of modeling. The time has come to get my first big gig, and I believe I can do it with you.
- I am already a model, but I am looking for a better contract, and a more interesting type of work. That’s why I decided to apply with your agency, and do not plan to prolong a contract with the one I work for at the moment. I still believe I have a lot to offer to the world, and I am brave enough to pursue my goals. You can check my portfolio at [link to your website or social media account] and see for yourself the professionalism and beauty on the pictures.
- To be completely honest with you, I do not know yet. It is more of a gut feeling. Deep down I know I have a talent, and should give this career a try, regardless of what others are saying. But I do not know what I want to do in five years from now for example. I prefer to go more with the flow, live in the present, always trying my best. I want to try modeling, seriously. And we will see what happens then.
Your non-verbal communication plays a big role
Remember that they are always looking for models with personality. Every question is a test, and they take notice of much more than just your words. The way you look, smile, whether you keep an eye contact, and most importantly--whether you sound authentic, and are saying what you really feel. How can you make such an impression?
The key is to speak with enthusiasm about your future modeling career and dreams, about your life. Try to pump yourself up a bit for the interview. At the end of the day, they is the chance you’ve been waiting for, the job or gig you really want to get. That’s the impression they should have once talking to you…
Ready to answer this one? I hope so! Do not forget to check the entire list of professional model interview questions, to get ready for all challenges you may face in your interview. You can also check 7 sample answers to other relevant questions:
- Please describe your passion for apparel and footwear.
- Where do you see yourself in five years from now?
- How would you rate yourself in terms of charisma?