When times are hard–and now they are hard for many, we struggle to see positives in life. Everything seems to be against us. Inflation makes our saving ever more smaller–if we had any at first place, one crisis in a relationship is replaced by another one, and we struggle with health–as if we had time and money to go to the doctors. Sometimes it seems one cannot escape the spiral of negative events. Things snowball, and we can feel that this ride can lead only to hell…
Maybe you found yourself in my words. And believe me, more people than ever feel that way. However, even in such a case you have things to be thankful for in life. Perhaps only your past, the good memories, perhaps your strength to continue, your belief into God or higher powers, or the people who have not deserted you in this situation, your friends and family. There is always a chance things will improve, especially if you do not wait for a miracle but try to do something with your situation.
And of course I hope you, reading these lines, find yourself in much better circumstances. You study or work, or want to, still having a good chunk of life in front of you. A lot of to be thankful for–the opportunities you’ve been given, parents who raised you, good or at least decent health, your education, anything. At the end of the day, if you have a computer or a good phone and read these lines in relative safety at least, you already have a lot to be thankful for. Because hundreds of millions do not have such a luxury… Let’s have a look at 7 sample answers now. I hope they will give you some inspiration and help you deal with this question, regardless of where you face it–be it in a job interview, school admission interview, or as a part of a questionnaire on some dating site or social network. Enjoy!
7 sample answers to “What are you thankful for in life?” interview question
- I am extremely thankful for my good health. Because looking around me, many young people battle with all sorts of problems–food allergies and intolerance, diabetes and obesity, mental health issues, and even worse things. In my opinion, when you have a good health everything in life is better. I am thankful for it, and I also do what I can to keep my good health, exercising regularly, eating healthy, trying to have some daily routine. And I am thankful for my family and all people around me, who support me on my journey through life towards my dreams.
- My life situation isn’t easy at the moment. I struggle with health, relationships, money. But I am still thankful for many things. First of all, that I live in a peaceful country, with at least some system of social welfare, that I do not have to live on a street or something similar. Secondly, I am grateful for my past, that I had a good childhood and have fond memories. And then I am thankful for hope, because things can always get better, and as long as we are alive and keep trying, no situation is hopeless.
- First of all, I am thankful for this interview. Your school is my no. 1 choice, I always dreamed of studying here, and it still feel kind of unreal that I sit here opposite to you, and have a chance to interview for one of the places in your study program. Looking at the bigger picture, I am thankful for all people in my life, including those I had rather negative experiences with, since I’ve learned something from every interaction, and I believe it helped me become who I am today. Last but not least, I am thankful for my country, and all people that helped to built it.
- In my opinion, the most important things in life we got for free. I still do not know how I deserved them–perhaps I did not, and perhaps I can pay back for them with my life. My body, mind, my family, my soul. It is amazing to be alive, and I enjoy this journey, and everything it brings me daily. I can actually say that I am thankful for my life, just as it is, with both good and bad things. But that doesn’t mean that I do not want to progress in my career, or do not work on myself. On the contrary, I still have a desire to get better, and I hope to get a chance to work for your company, which will be another step on my career journey.
- I am thankful for all the great possessions I have. The house I live in, a decent car I drive, the furniture, all things that just make my life easier. You know, you can always see the glass half-full or half-empty. I am not a millionaire and do not go for fancy holidays. But I enjoy my work, have a place to live, food to eat, and my debt isn’t big. Many people do not have such things to be thankful for. They battle everyday for a mere survival. When I think about it now, I consider myself extremely fortunate, and I hope I can pay back for it with my work, with treating people nicely, and trying to make a positive difference in this world.
- I am most thankful for finally standing on my feet again. Been through a rough period lately, lot has been going on in both my private and professional life. It was a tough ride with many sleepless nights. But thankfully I found a strength to carry on, and now things look much better. If I get this job with you, it will be another step in the right direction. But even if I do not, I am thankful for the chance, and I will keep trying.
- The thing I am thankful for the most is my relationship with God. Good times or bad times, alone or in a relationship, healthy or struggling with sicknesses, God has been the one pillar in my life I could always rely on, one that never deserted me. I cannot express in words how much it means to me. Besides that I am thankful for all the blessings I got in my life. My children, friends, jobs I had, all sort of spiritual and other experiences. Let’s keep it going!
Final thoughts on “What are you thankful for in life?” interview question
We live in difficult times, no doubt about it. But we should not forget all the blessings we got in our lives. Regardless of whether you interview for a job or for a place at school, try to show positive attitude to life. That’s what the hiring managers and admission committee members are looking for. People who can appreciate good things, not people who always just complain about their life and work. As long as you manage to do it, they will be satisfied with your answer!
Ready to answer this one? I hope so! Do not forget to check also 7 sample answers to other tricky interview questions:
- What do you like the least about your company?
- Tell us something about you that you wouldn’t want us to know.
- What motivates you?