If you apply for a job in a hotel chain, or in a company that manages many properties, you can expect a lengthy and difficult interview, with some behavioral questions, and also with a practical test of your abilities (they may let you to fix something in an interview, or even take you to one of their buildings and ask you to look for something to fix).
If you apply in a small company, however, or perhaps a dormitory, or school, they will typically ask you only a few questions about your motivation, experience, and certifications. In this case, however, personal preferences of the interviewers play a role, so will still need to make a good impression on them (check our job interview tips to understand how to make a good impression)
Work portfolio can help you greatly in both interviews
Regardless of the company and interview, your portfolio can win you a job contract. Collect some pictures of you working, for example painting something, repairing the air conditioning, installing a new switch, etc. The pictures will convince them of your readiness for the job. They will not doubt your ability to actually repair stuff, once they see you doing it, on the pictures.
Technical, behavioral, and basic questions
Apart from practical tests, you can get some of the following questions in your interview:
- Why do you want to be a maintenance technician?
- What motivates you in work?
- What do you think are ten main duties of a good maintenance technician?
- Tell me about five most recent defects you had to repair.
- What was the most difficult bug you ever solved in your life and was there any bug you were not able to solve?
- Do you think you can lead a small group of people. Do you have any experience with leading someone?
- How would you ensure you maintain a professional courteous manner with all residents, vendors, contractors, and fellow employees?
- What do you think about doing monthly inspections in buildings? Do you think it is appropriate, or the inspections should be more regular?
- Describe a perfect boss.
- What are your strengths and your weaknesses?
- Describe a situation when you were under pressure in work.
- Describe a conflict you had with your colleague.
- Describe a situation when you did not know what to do at all.
- Why should we hire you and not the another candidate?
To see great answers these questions, check the interview success package.
We at InterviewPenguin.com wish you good luck in your interview!