Resident assistant is a really specific role. You need to have quite a broad set of skills and abilities to be able to handle all the duties a typical resident assistant (RA) has. People skills are on the top of the list, but organizational skills are just right behind. In RA interview questions, not only all the policies of the building and your good knowledge of everything happening around will be tested. They must ensure you will have time to carry out this role and that other people will be happy with your assistance.
To help you prepare for the interview better, we prepared a list of commonly used RA interview questions. Go through the list. It should help you to get rid of stress and think over in advance some questions awaiting you in the interviews.
Typical RA interview questions
- Why have you decided to apply for this role?
- What do you think makes from you a great RA applicant (in your answer focus on the abilities from the first paragraph of this article)
- How would you handle the conflict of two residents? (to go along the institution policies combined with human approach will be a good answer)
- What do you think is the most difficult about this job?
- Are you able to solve problems interdependently? (Of course you are otherwise you’ll be not applying for this job and answering these RA interview questions)
- How would you handle the situation when one of your close friends brakes some rules?
- Do you think it is important to organize regular meetings of the community? If yes, why, and what would you talk about on these meetings.
- What do you think are the three key facts the new residents of our building should be informed about once coming here?
- Imagine that one of the residents makes something that is not against the rules, but is strongly disturbing for the other residents. How would you react? (to reconcile policies is a good thought, but to kindly ask him to stop doing it as a human being is even better one answer to such RA interview questions)
- How do you think will your typical day on this position look like?
As you can see from the list of the questions, you really should check some policies and information before coming to the interview. It will not only help you to answer some of the tougher RA interview questions, but also shows the recruiter how interested you are in the building and that it means something to you.
If you think about preparing even better, you can check some job interview tips or read other posts on the website.