- The therapy methods and treatments you have experience with and can apply.
- If you have the right personality for the job, if you can connect with the patients on a personal level.
Physical therapy is trendy. Many public and private rehabilitation centers are being built and opened in different parts of the world right now. If you want to get the job, you will have to convince them that you meet the following requirements:
- Degree from physical therapy or from ergo therapy (sometimes bachelor’s is enough)
- Previous experience (*only if you apply for a job abroad)
- Good knowledge of therapy methods they use at the center
- Good communication skills, understanding for the needs of the patients
- Motivation and right attitude to your job.
Interviewers will use a variety of questions to understand if you meet these requirements. I recommend you to think about each question for a while, and to try to find the right answer (find hints in the brackets).
- Why do you want to work as a physical therapist? (focus on your motivation to help the others, or your love to the job)
- Can you tell me something more about your education? (focus on practical parts, tell them about your internship or residency)
- Can you tell me something more about your experience? (mention all therapy methods and treatments you have experience with)
- What are your strengths and weaknesses? (responsibility, attention to detail, and communications skills are a good choice for strengths; you can mention being over friendly with patients or over sympathetic as your weakness)
- Imagine a patient accused you of a bad service. What would you do?
- What are the latest trends in physical therapy?
- What do you see yourself in five years time? (you should say that you would love to have a job of a physical therapist in five years time, because that is what you want to do in your life)
- Describe a conflict you had with your colleague in your past job.
- Why should we hire you, and not one of the other applicants for this job?
- What are your salary expectations?
- Describe a situation when you went above and beyond with your service (for a patient, or for a colleague).
Speaking from my own experience with recruiting employees for rehabilitation centers, getting a job of a physical therapist can be both easy and difficult. Some private centers in Arabic countries struggle to attract real talent from Europe or from the US. Therefore, they will accept any applicant that meets the basic requirements and is interested to work for them. If you apply for the job with them, just relax and enjoy your interview.
On the other hand, many rehabilitation centers and clinics in Western Europe and US are basically flooded with new job applications. To get a job with them, you will need excellent interview answers, and you will have to stand out with your job application and interview presence.
If you would like to learn how to do it, you can check our Interview Success package.
The Team at Interview Penguin wishes you good luck in your interview!