In this article we will try to outline a few basic steps you should take to get a job with this popular video game retailer.
Bear in mind, however, that there are different job openings at Gamestop, and each one demands a slightly different approach to the job application, and to the interview. Take this guide as a general guidance only.
One of a hundred
First of all, you must realize the magnitude of the task that lies ahead:
- More than 100 people submit their job application for every new vacancy at Gamestop.
- Gamestop has strict policies when hiring new employees, and you need to adhere to them to stand any chance of succeeding.
- People who work at Gamestop typically keep their job for a long time, and therefore your best shot is to apply for a vacancy in a new store, or for a corporate job opening.
Step by step guide on getting hired at Gamestop
First step: Check your connections and try to benefit from them
Gamestop is a nationwide company. Your connection in the company can help you to get an interview with them, or at least they can pass your resume to the manager in a local store.
Polish your old address book, check your FR friend list, give a call to a few people, and see if anyone can help you.
Personal recommendation can help immensely, especially in this case, when there are so many applications per vacancy, and it is hard to tell the difference between the applicants (typically young people, with similar resume and experience).
Second step: Go directly to the store, create a connection
If you do not have a good connection with someone at Gamestop, it is time to make one.
Try to visit the store regularly, talk to the employees, make friends, buy something–buy a lot of stuff. Anytime you talk to them, try to demonstrate your communication skills, and show passion for what they do in the company.
As soon as they consider you a regular, don’t hesitate and bring your resume. They may help you to become a member of the team, especially if they like you, if they enjoy the idea of working with you.
Third step: Online application–do it in a best possible way
If you fail to make a connection at Gamestop (or prefer to not follow this path), you have only one alternative left–the online application process.
Try to complete all the fields on the application, and do as much as you can to prepare for the phone call with the manager, and for the interview with the company. T
his includes but is not limited to–preparation for behavioral questions, preparation for a role play, research about Gamestop, their history, vision, retail stores, etc.
Step four: Preparing for an interview
You should think about the following questions, trying to come up with a good answer to each one:
- Why Gamestop? Why do you apply for a job with us, and not with one of our main competitors? Focus on their strong brand, the variety of products they offer, the excellent customer service and unforgettable shopping experience. Basically you should do your best to convince them that they are the best :).
What makes from you a good clerk (sales assistant, salesman)? At the end of the day, each retail business is about sales. Either you convince them of your sales skills, or they’ll hire someone else. Talk about your understanding for the customers in this segment–the typical personality of a video game player, their needs and desires, the way they like to talk to people, etc. You can also say that you are not afraid to approach the customers, and talk to anybody in a store.
- How do you imagine a typical day in work? Show them that you like to be busy, and do not plan to just stand in the corridor, waiting for the customers to approach you. Tell them that you will walk and talk to people, actively trying to understand what they need, and sell them what they want (or may want).
- What motivates you in work?
- Where do you see yourself in one year time? Emphasize your passion for video games, and that you plan to work in the field for much more than one year. The key is to convince them that you are serious about your application, and will stay with Gamestop for many years to come (or at least you plan to do so, of course your plans can change).
- If you hear an expression “excellent customer service”, what do you imagine?
- Describe a conflict you had on a workplace. Talk about a situation that ended well–situation when you managed to solve the conflict, when the bridges were not destroyed. Ensure your interviewers that the conflicts do not affect you negatively in job, that you can get over them quickly, and deliver your best.
- Why should we hire you, and not one of the other applicants?
Brilliant answers to all questions, and other interesting reading
If you find the questions difficult, or if you simply prefer someone with years of recruitment experience to help you with the answers, have a look at our Interview Success Package, where you will find multiple brilliant answers to each difficult interview question (and much more).
It’s a one time purchase, costs less than $20, and will help you in every interview you go to in your life (not only at Gamestop).
Alternatively you can continue your interview preparation with one of the following articles:
- Job interview tips – Four great tips that will help you to prepare for your interview.
- Phone interview – Learn how to make a good impression on the phone, and how to answer their questions.
- Customer service & retail – From receptionist and administrative assistants, to stockers and clerks. Learn what questions you will get in your interview, and how to prepare for them.