It is actually a customer service job, and it has very little to do with healthcare.
Good relationship with the doctor
Try to create a good relationship with your interviewer. In many cases, the doctor you’d work with will lead an interview with you. Show them that it is a pleasure to talk to you, to work with you, and that they can trust you with your job.
- Show them respect and recognition. Doctors like to be respected, and an exception just proves the rule. If you can, compliment them for something (their practice, office, their reputation, anything else).
- Smile. Many job seekers forget their smiles at home when they go to a job interview. You should not make the same mistake. Smile, keep an eye contact with them, and try to speak openly about your life and professional career.
- Show motivation. Some job applicants consider job of a receptionist their last option, applying because they can not get any better job. Even if it is your case, however, you should not let that know in an interview. Speak with enthusiasm about your new job, the future, the particular clinic or medical practice. Show them that you want the job, and are actually looking forward to start working with them.
Common interview questions
- Why did you apply for this job?
- Why do you think you can be a good medical receptionist?
- Do you have any experience with similar jobs?
- What are your main strengths and weaknesses?
- How would you greet a visitor?
- It is a routine job. How do you plan to motivate yourself?
- What are you goals in five years time?
- How would you handle an angry customer?
- Imagine that two patients come on the same appointment – and it is your mistake – you scheduled it that way. How would you react to the situation?
- Describe a conflict you had with one of our colleagues.
- Describe a time when you felt pressure in work.
- Do you have any questions?
* If you are looking for a longer list of questions, and would like to see the answers, check the ReceptionistInterviewQuestions.com website from Amanda Seizling. Amanda specializes in coaching people who try to get various receptionist jobs.
Alternatively you can have a look at our list of most common questions.