But how to choose the right career? Where should you go next?
To identify your new direction, you firstly have to know what you expect from the change. Try to answer the following questions honestly:
- Why do you want to change your career?
- Do you want to spend more time in the office, or outside?
- Do you prefer to spend more time in front of the computer screen, or with people?
- Are there any activities you are missing in your present job?
- Are you looking for a new challenge, or for a new routine?
Good questions lead to good answers. Understanding why you do not enjoy your present job anymore, and what you expect from a new role, should help you identify your next career stop.
Most times, however, you will have to sacrifice something for your new career.
Your salary will drop, you may need to work on your education and knowledge (investing time and money in the process), and you will lose the contact with your colleagues from the industry.
Think twice before you decide for a career change. And if you still consider it worth the sacrifice, have a look at some great ideas below.
Career change ideas for you
If you are tired from the office work, go outside. Do it in a clever way though. Ask your manager for an extensive break, travel somewhere for the summer, work in the fields, try permaculture for a couple of months. Maybe it is exactly what you are looking for, and maybe it is not. Keep the doors open so you can come back to the corporate world, if needed.
- You can pick strawberries, collect mushrooms or hoe the fields. Some busy managers changed their career drastically and found inner piece in the fields. However, some other just understood that their office job is not so bad and came back after the summer…
- If you are fed up with other people, stop meeting them. Learn a programing language. Become a specialist in a niche. Learn to work with a software just few people mastered in your country…. Apply for a job in a software company, and start afresh.
- Maybe it is the bureaucracy and hierarchical structure that tires you. Say them goodbye, and give a try to a freelancing career. Many people all around the world do so each year, and there are countless options for freelancing in the world of information. You can become a professional driver, interpreter, article writer, drive a taxi, or do hundreds of other things. Freelancing career is not easy, but many people who tried it fell in love with the new lifestyle…
May also interest you: