However, once we reach our adulthood, we understand that it is not easy to become a firefighter.
To do that, you will have to demonstrate great physical condition, and you will have to answer well all questions of your interviewers.
What do they try to understand with the questions?
First and foremost, they try to understand your personality. Are you ready to risk for life for saving someone’s else life? Are you ready to take a risk for your colleagues? Are you a team player? Would you not panic in a difficult situation? Can you make an independent decision? Are you responsible?
Various questions will help them to get a good grasp of your personality. They may (and most of the time they will) use a personality test, to confirm their initial impression they have from an interview with you.
Below you will find the questions they often use.
Common questions for firefighter interviews
- Why have you decided for a career of a firefighter?
- Is anyone from your family working on this position?
- Have you even done a job of a firefighter before?
- Tell me something more about your previous experience.
- What characterize a great firefighter in your view?
How fast can you run 100 meters, 400 meters and one kilometer?
- Are you afraid of heights?
- Can you swim? How well? What is your time on 1000 meters?
- Do you do any sports?
- Have you ever caught fire?
- Have you ever participated in saving someone’s life?
- Have you ever been seriously injured?
- Are there any diseases or illnesses that will hinder you in your job of a firefighter?
- If the house were on fire and you knew that there were some people inside, would you go and try to save someone, risking your own life?
- Have you ever given a first aid to someone? Tell me more about the situation.
- How long do you want to work as a firefighter?
- Describe a situation when you felt pressure in work.
- Describe a conflict you had with one of your colleagues.
- How would your best friend describe you as a person?
- Why should we hire you, and not one of the other job applicants?
Firefighter interview does not belong to the most difficult interviews. You can prepare for the questions in advance, and most of a time only a few other applicants will compete with you for the job.
On the other hand, you will need to demonstrate the right attitude to work and danger, as well as that you have a good physical condition. If you fail to do that, they will hire someone else….
Continue your preparation with Interview Penguin: