If you apply for a system manager, system engineer, or database specialist job, you can expect to deal with some questions that relate to data structures.
Remember though, that apart from technical questions, you will always deal with personal, situational and behavioral questions as well (they are not technical). Whether you can work in a team, how you handle stress, what motivates you in job and how you approach various work-related situations–all of these things are important for your future employer….
In this article, however, we will focus only on the technical questions, and questions related to data structures. You will find them below.
List of questions
How would you test the efficiency of a newly implemented data structure?
- Why do you think data structures are important for our company?
- Can you define your approach and philosophy in data structures?
- Please, give some examples of non linear and linear data structures. Define advantages of both of these.
- How it is possible that computers are able to store and fetch data in any place in the memory?
- What is the main difference between the array data structures and record data structures?
- What are the requirements of the implementation of a typical array data structure?
- Are you able to name any scripting languages that lack the support for data structures?
- What mean a tagged union when it comes to data structures?
- What is almost complete binary tree?
- Are you able to code a program (in any language) to compare two linked lists of data?
- Is there any way to declare the existing structure of a linked list using C?
- Are you able to classify the Hashing Functions based on the various methods by which the key value is found and defined?
Practical tests and other questions
It should be clear by now that you will have to demonstrate your coding skills, and you should prepare for a practical test in your interview. On the top of that, you should prepare for the non-technical questions, because they form an important part of an interview for every IT job. The following articles should help you with your preparation:
- 15 most common interview questions and answers
- It & technology interview questions
- Job interview follow-up