Featuring social collaboration and analytics for business users, and well known with the easy-to-use interface, it has become very popular in recent years.
With the popularity of Cognos grows the demand for people who can actually work with the software, and help other people in the company to work with it.
If you happen to apply for a system engineer, programmer, or desktop support specialist job in a company that uses Cognos, you can expect a few questions that relate to your knowledge of it.
Keep in mind though, that interviewing for any IT job, you will have to deal with many non-technical questions as well. The core of the interview will always consist in personal and behavioral questions, and unless you manage to answer them well, your great technical skills won’t save you in an interview.
Interview questions related to Cognos
How did you discover Cognos and when did you work with it for the first time?
- What do you consider the major benefits company gains from using Cognos?
- If you should compare Cognos to other similar products and solutions, say how it is better and how it can improve.
- What do you like the most on working with Cognos, and what does annoy you while working with it?
- Can you give us any practical example of how you utilized Cognos in a company to achieve better end results of the business?
- When looking on different groups of stakeholders, how can they benefit from Cognos?
- Name at least six main features of Cognos 10 BI, and define each feature with one sentence.
- Is it possible to apply certain filters on the list of values in the value prompt in Cognos?
- How would you convert crosstab into list?
- It is possible to create a dynamic column name in Cognos?
- What is the importance of framework manager in Cognos reporting?
- Is there any difference between aggregation and roll-up aggregation?
- Give an example when it is good to use a generated prompt.
- What are the components of Cognos connection?
- Why do they include tree prompt in Cognos 10? How did it improve from the previous versions?
- Is it possible to create various user permissions in Cognos? If yes, define the different levels and their permissions.
Continue your preparation with Interview Penguin:
- Personal interview questions
- Interview preparation guide
- Questions for other IT jobs and programming languages