Assistant principal interview questions
Many people dream of becoming a school principal one day. A position of assistant principle is a good step towards this goal. It is actually a pretty good job on its own! To get this job, you will have to deal with plenty of tough behavioral, personal and technical questions in an interview.
School principal himself, specialized HR committee, or local Dept. of Education typically leads this interview. You should understand that apart from your answers to questions, also other things play a role on the final decision of the interviewers.
Decisive factors in an interview
- If you have the same approach to teaching and leading the school as they have.
- If you communicate at the same wavelength, understand each other well.
- If you have similar interests and hobbies, common topics you can speak about together.
You know, school principals are neither HR professionals, nor recruiters. That is the reason why personal preferences play quite an important role in this interview too. Do not try to wowthem with your strong knowledge and experience. Rather be a human, show some respect and desire to help. You can easily get a job doing it this way. And what are the most common interview questions? Let’s have a look at the following list!
- Why have you decided to apply for an assistant principal position at our school?
- Have you ever worked as an assistant of principal before, or as an assistant of a leader of any other organization?
- You probably know something about our school. Do you see any areas for improvement?
- Can you define your philosophy of teaching?
- What do you think: Should the assistant principal have the same strengths as the principal?
- Have you ever thought of becoming a school principal one day?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- Do you have children? What was your approach to their upbringing?
- How did you deal with upset parents whose child complained about you?
- Did you supervise any school event in the past? What problems did you face? How did you handle the problems?
As you can see, directly or indirectly, interviewers try to understand if you two could go along together in a long run and be beneficial for the school.
Therefore it’s a good idea to find out as much about the interviewer as possible. Once you have the information, you will be able to answer the questions much better. We wish you good luck!
Special tip: For more advanced insight on the problematic of assistant principal interview, questions, answers and techniques, we recommend you to have a look at http://assistantprincipalinterviewquestions.com/, website that specializes on the interview for assistant principals. It’s the best source of information out there.