Assistant principal interview questions
On your way to becoming a school principal one day, a position of assistant principle is a good step. In order to have any chance to get this job, you will have to handle a handful of tough behavioral, personal and technical questions in an interview.
Usually, the interview is done by the school principal himself, or one of the teachers or in some cases by the specialist HR person. Knowing this you should understand that apart from your answers to questions, also other things play a major role on the final decision about your future at school. Speaking mostly about the following.
Decision factors in an interview
- If the interviewer feels good with you.
- If you have the same approaches to teaching and leading the school as they did.
- If you communicate at the same wavelength, understand each other well.
- If you have similar interests and hobbies, common topics you can speak about together.
In general school principals are neither HR professionals nor the recruiters. That is the reason why personal preferences play such a huge role in this interview. Do not try to wow the principal with your strong knowledge and experience. Rather be a human, show some respect and interest. You can easily get a job doing it this way. And what are the most common interview questions? Let’s have a look at the following list!
List of most common questions asked in an interview
- Why have you decided to apply for a principal assistant job exactly in our school?
- Have you ever worked before as an assistant of principal or assistant of a leader of any organization?
- You probably know something about our school. Do you see any areas of improvements?
- Can you define your philosophy of teaching?
- What do you think: Should the assistant of the principal have the same strengths as the principal of school or should his personality be different?
- Have you ever thought of becoming a school principal one day?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- Is there any training, course or seminar you are visiting at the moment?
- Do you have any children? What was your approach to their upbringing?
- If you shall characterize your ideal boss, who should it be?
As you can see, directly or indirectly, interviewer (in most of the cases principal) tries to understand if you two could go along together in a long run, and if you do not represent the threat for him – if you do not want to take his position in time…
That’s why it is crucial to find out as much about the interviewer as possible, before you even go to the job interview. Being prepared like that, you should be able to answer all the assistant principal interview questions in the right way and get a job. We wish you good luck!
Special tip: For more advanced insight in the problematic of assistant principal interview, questions answers and interviewing techniques, we recommend you to have a look at http://assistantprincipalinterviewquestions.com/, website that specializes only on the interview for assistant principals and nothing else. It’s the best source out there.